Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Why I’m preparing to Preach a Series called, “Prepare to Suffer”

Michael Horton writes:

The experience of suffering itself does not make us experts on the subject. Golfing more will not correct one’s bad swing; only training can do that. And so we need to learn from God’s will only tend to reinforce what we already believe, whether it’s good or bad theology (To Good to be True, 20).

I am not ready to suffer. I don’t know if I could ever be fully ready. But I can be better prepared than I currently am. And so can my church. As one of their pastors, I must prepare them well since I’ll have to give an account for my shepherding them (Hebrews 13:17). Suffering and pain is coming (and in many cases already here). Please pray for us.

Here are the resources I’m consulting:

  1. How Long O Lord? by D. A. Carson
  2. Suffering and the Sovereignty of God edited by John Piper
  3. If I were God I’d End All Pain by John Dickson
  4. Suffering and Evil by Scott Petty
  5. To Good to be True by Michael Horton
  6. Suffering for the Sake of the Body Seminar by John Piper
  7. The Goodness of God by Randy Alcorn (I’m not consulting this one yet, but will if I have time)

Sermons on Job I’d like to hear but will probably not have time:

  1. Dominic Smart
  2. Mike Reeves

No comments: