Saturday, September 15, 2012

Do you go to a church as only a consumer or a consumer/provider?

Mark Dever (lightly edited - beginning at 36:13): Try to think of the church differently.Realize that if you're a Christian, you are not called to be merely a consumer, but you are called to be a provider. When you turn up at your church 15 minutes late, do you know what that says? "I am here, and I am here about you all serving me." Did you ever think about that? It's because there are some brothers and sisters, who turn up there an hour and a half before hand to turn the heat on and some others who set the chairs out and some others who get this ready and that ready and the teaching that's been prepared through the week. All kinds of people doing things to provide for you. Well, I'm telling you, that's not just for the hyper-spiritual few. That is supposed to be typical of every Christian. No I'm not telling you, don't get worried, if you just became a Christian this weekend. I'm not telling you that you need to go back and start preaching next week. I'm not saying that. But I am saying even you very young Christian brother or sister, you are to immediately become a provider. You are to be a provider, not just a consumer.

No comments: